Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Olivia's birth story

Okay, so this may not be interesting for everyone to read, but I use this blog, not only to keep friends and family up to date on the kids, but also as a way of scrapbooking. So here is the more detailed version of Olivia's birth story:

I woke up at 3:00 a.m. on Tuesday the 19th to go to the bathroom. I felt something pop when I was going to the bathroom, thought it was my water breaking, but nothing else happened. Went back to bed and GUSH - water definitely broke. Woke Aaron up to tell him, his reaction "Are you serious?". "Yes dear, I am going to go take a shower." Contractions started about 15 minutes after water broke. After we both showered, Aaron called Brad and Jenny to wake them up and have them come over to stay with Aidan and Ella. While waiting, both hopped on Facebook to change our status. Oh, how sad that is. I also made Aaron call Brad and see how far away they were because the contractions were starting to get a little more painful and were only 3 minutes apart, around 4:15 a.m. Since we live half hour from the hospital they have always told me to head up to Ames when contractions are 5 minutes apart. No slow labor this time though!

Brad and Jenny got here, quick exchange and off to the hospital. That was the longest car ride since the contractions were every 2-3 minutes.

Got to the hospital about 5:00, got all situated in our room (which just happened to be the same one we saw on our hospital tour before we had Aidan). They checked me and I was at 6-7 cm when we arrived. After they did the fetal monitoring for about 30 minutes and got my IV started for group B strep antibiotics, I got to go sit in the whirlpool tub for a little bit. After about 20 minutes in there though I felt like I needed to push. So out of the tub, back to the bed, called my midwife in. She said I was almost at 10 cm and I could push if I needed to. Started pushing at 7:00 a.m. and she was born at 7:21 a.m. I had no drugs, didn't need an episiotomy, had just a first degree tear that required 2 stitches. And right after she was born they put her right on my chest so I could hold her. With the other two they had passed meconium inside so they were both immediately whisked to a corner of the room to be checked out by a pediatrician. I still got to hold them after about 20 minutes or so, but this was so wonderful to just be able to hold her right away, though she was a bit icky. :) They let me hold her for a couple of minutes and then took her over to get her cleaned up and checked out.

She scored 8 at one minute and 9 at 5 minutes for her APGAR scores, same as Aidan and Ella had. Everything just went so well this time around. Not that the other two were bad, this time just felt like everything came together just right. Had awesome nurses during our entire hospital stay. Olivia was born at 7:21 a.m and my favorite midwife was on call until 8:00 a.m. so she got to deliver her, which was awesome. No drugs again, so I am very proud of myself for successfully having 3 children with no epidural! And it was a beautiful sunshiny day to welcome our new little angel to our family.


sarahmmw said...

That is just great Amy!!! Thanks for sharing:)

Rochelle said...

Amy, you are amazing! Three kids and no drugs ever! I am in awe! :)