Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Icy Treasure

Aidan had a lot of fun this morning with a new activity we tried. I found the idea over at one of the blogs I read called Doodle's Place . You just freeze a layer of water in a plastic container. Add a few little treasures (I chose dinosaurs), add some more water, freeze again, and then add another layer of water and freeze. I did add some food coloring to the different layers but they disappeared pretty quickly. I wasn't sure what to have him use for "tools" but we decided on ice cream scoop, spaghetti tongs, and measuring cups. I did put a little bit of water in the bottom of the tub to help speed the process along since we only had an hour until lunch time this morning. So he hammered away using his ice cream scoop, scraped with the tongs, and poured water over it to help it melt. Tried to have a little science lesson in why the water would make the ice melt, didn't really get it, but it was our first experiment with it. He had a ton of fun with it. And then after Ella woke from her nap they both had a lot of fun playing in the water with the dinosaurs and tools. Pretty good couple hours of entertainment!



"Hold on! I'll save you dinosaurs!"

"Yeah! I saved one!"

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

roduns said...

What a fun idea! So creative, Amy!