Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Day of Preschool

Oh my goodness, our little boy is now four-years-old AND started preschool. We have had a busy last two days! This morning I was getting myself all geared up to deal with his screaming fit when I tried to leave him at preschool. I actually thought the fight would start at home and I wouldn't even be able to get him in the van. Up to about 5 minutes before we had to leave he was still saying, "No, I don't want to go to preschool. I am 4 years old but I don't want to go to preschool." So if you hear him say that, and you have met our strong willed little man, you can see how I thought I was going to have a major fight and meltdown on my hands.

I asked him if he wanted to check the calendar and see what was for snack today, so we did that. It was all centered around a gingerbread man theme today, which he was already kind of excited about. Then I asked him if he thought his new teachers would sing the days of the week songs I just taught him during calendar time. He asked me if they would sing (the Adam's family version - and sang it for me) and I said he would just have to tell me when I came to pick him up.

I then just told him it was time to go potty and then we would get his shoes on, and so he did. So far so good. "Okay, time to get your new backpack on and mommy wants to take a special first day picture on the back porch." Again, so far so good:

"Whose preschool is this?" "AIDAN's!" So we get out of the van and all walk in. Standing under the sign seemed like a good photo op and he was nice enough to cooperate (again just cooperating for pictures is not something Aidan usually does - but so far I have two great pictures that I wanted!)

We go in and find his gingerbread name tag on the table and then go find the spot for his backpack. I show him how he can hang his bag on the hook (so many little details to learn how to do by yourself!)

We walk over to the tables and he spots the counting/sorting bears he enjoyed at the open house. (Ella, always close behind big brother)



One of the teachers, Mrs. Marshall came over and got Aidan and showed him this door that had each child's name on a hand print. Aidan found his name, took the hand print off and put it in the basket like Mrs. Marshall asked him to do and he will need to do each day when he arrives.

He went back to the table to work with the counting bears. I asked him if he was okay, he said yes. I told him I needed a hug and kiss and then I would come back to pick him up later and couldn't wait to hear about all the fun he was going to have at preschool. He gave me my hug and kiss and said good-bye. The lead teacher Mrs. Smith came over and started talking to Aidan as I left the building. Even though he was doing so well, I was very grateful to Mrs. Smith for giving him that little extra attention and make him feel safe and comfortable right then.

So the girls and I went off to our regular playgroup, minus Aidan. I will admit, that as I was pulling out of the parking lot I tried to call Aaron to tell him how good drop off went and just fell apart crying when I started leaving him a message. I think I had myself just SO worked up for a battle with Aidan that I was having a hard time dealing with the reality of a happy big boy going off to preschool! When we went back to pick him up it was just a big van line because the teachers bring the kids out to you (how nice is that so I won't need to get the girls out everyday!)

I let Aidan choose a restaurant to go to as a special first day of school lunch. He of course chose McDonalds. He is a cheap date as the Happy Meals are only $1.89 on Wednesdays! So we sat and ate and he told me all about preschool. Here are a few highlights that he told me throughout the rest of the day:

"Before snack we stand in line to wash our hands. Boys go into the boys bathroom and girls go into the girls bathroom"

"When we are done with snack we fold up the napkin like this and throw it in the garbage"

"At carpet time we got our own little carpet to sit on and we sat criss cross applesauce" (this is one of my favorite quotes because it sounds so natural to me after telling kids for years to sit criss cross applesauce, but I have never said it to Aidan. It was just SUCH a preschool thing to hear come out of my son's mouth!)

They did sing a days of the week song, but it was a different one than I taught him. I am still not clear on the tune, but there was clapping involved and he liked it.

There is apparently a little girl named Emma in his class because he kept talking about Emma that he played with at the Van Sickel family reunion. I kept trying to figure out why he was talking about that but finally figured out there must be a different Emma in his class.

Hmmmmmm....it is getting late and my mind is getting a little fuzzy. I am just sure there were more quotes from the day that I wanted to share, but they will have to wait til tomorrow, when hopefully I am a little more coherent.

I am just happy beyond words that he had such a wonderful first day of preschool!

3 comments:

Tonya said...

I'm so glad it went well. What a big boy!!!

roduns said...

Awesome! Hope it continues to go well!

Sarah said...

I was about to tear up thinking about the first time I am going to have to actually drop Connor off and leave!! I am so glad that it went so well!!